Sunday, August 23, 2026

Sunday Aug 23, 2026

Sue: This has been a calm week. 


I walked 1 1/3 miles for the first time since arriving in Rochefort-du-Gard. I didn’t realize there were so many kinds of cactus here. I made 28 cups of chili for Marseilles Zone Conference on Sept 4. 

When Tom went running Wednesday morning, he left me asleep in bed with the front door open to let the cool breeze circulate.  About 7 am, I awoke with a start.  Something was licking my elbow. I could barely open my eyes, although the adrenalin was pumping.  It was Yoshi, our owners’ friendly chocolate mongrel just staring at me.  He had never come in before.  I scooted him out and shut the door while he just looked at me.  I guess he wanted some company.


 We had our first rain storm since arriving and it has broken the heat wave. The thunder and lightning almost rivaled those in Minnesota.  One of the first we experienced in Minnesota was so dramatic that I thought it must be the prelude to the second coming.  


Today Laurent (our owner) brought us fresh figs and a sack of almonds picked from his trees.  Fresh figs are divine. We first had them when visiting Jericho with Ben and Christy.  I know why Adam and Eve picked fig leaves to cover their nakedness: they are huge and it would not take many.

Beautiful rock house in the village

Tom: We had our meeting with the MHA for Paris North (Elder Woods) as prelude to the handover Sept. 1 when he goes home.  We arrange our work flow and communications similarly.  We will join the Paris North Health Council meeting tomorrow and get to know the group better and the health problems they are working on.  


I was asked to lead the discussion in Priesthood Meeting today.  We discussed Sr. Freeman's talk in the April Conference.  As she promised, I also believe that our best days are ahead.  I also think they are more likely for us personally to be on the other side of the veil!  But here or there, it doesn't matter.


Meanwhile Sue is mostly over her URI/conjunctivitis that she had a week ago.  I've been able to keep running and am logging about 12-14 miles a week.  It's a good way to explore the town and surrounding vineyards and farms.  Typically I have a 375' elevation gain here with each run.  That would take me 3 or 4 runs in Jacksonville!

View of Rochefort from the SE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Aug 23, 2026

Sue: This has been a calm week.   I walked 1 1/3 miles for the first time since arriving in Rochefort-du-Gard. I didn’t realize there were s...