It was as hot as forecasted last week. Several days in a row over 104. I didn’t spend much time outside because I was hit with a dry cough (exercise induced asthma that hits me once every five years) and headaches which left me sleepless for two nights. By Wednesday my ventolin inhaler was not doing much so we added advair twice a day. I thought I was getting better but last night my eyes were kind of goopy and this morning they were both crusted shut. So today I am adding a full regime of drugs for three days and eye drops for six, thanks to Dr. Crozier.
Last week we didn’t tell you about visiting Vaison-la-Romaine, the largest archeological park in France. There were two things I was most impressed with and both were in the museum. One was a collection of Roman nails under glass. They were shaped like Ts but the long part was about 4 inches long. These gave me a more intense understanding of the Savior’s hands, feet and wrists.
The second was a navy blue room with statues of 3 emperors and one wife: Claude 41-54, Domitian 81-96, Hadrian and Sabine 117-138. Stunning! We have visited Hadrian’s wall dividing England and Scotland. We also visited Nyon, famous for olive oil production, winning 3 first place ribbons in Paris in the last few years. Catogni’s bought several bottles to take home for a tasting comparison with their kids.Tuesday, Tom took Elders Bell and Abad to see Pont du Gard for the first time. One had served in Nimes for several months but had no public transport to get there. The other is finishing his mission this transfer and goes home to Spain. We think it is important to see cultural and historic sights when possible.
Wednesday, Tom taught Institute (teacher was working). The topic was the Final Judgment. I was with him but made such a disturbance coughing in the first five minutes that I left and read Preach My Gospel on my own. We had all brought food to share after so we could stay and watch the solar eclipse together. Avignon visibility was 97%.
Friday we six missionaries were invited to the Branch Pres'. apt in Orange for dinner. We shared experiences about the temple before eating crackers and tapenade, raw veggies and dip, ravioli, homemade bread, salad and cheese with melon for dessert. It was a lovely evening. Before going home, Tom and I walked to the mini Arc de Triomphe, a Roman structure, built or rebuilt by Tiberius in the 1st century around 14 AD celebrating military conquests. Sometimes I think I live in a history museum and always want to learn more.
Tom will add the responsibility of MMA to the new Paris North mission beginning Sept. 1. until they have their own. We don’t know exactly how this will work out but will learn in the next couple of weeks. He is also playing the piano in Sacrament Mtg. although not officially called.
We are waiting to hear about the repairs to walls in our Jacksonville apartment. A sewage pipe seven floors above us overflowed and has affected sheet rock on all the floors beneath it. Glad we are not there.






No comments:
Post a Comment