Sunday, August 2, 2026

August 2, 2026

This week we learned how to use the stove and oven. The oven is electric but has numbers 1-10 instead of temperatures so it will be guesswork for a while. The stove has three gas burners and one electric. I made bbq sauce, potato salad, chicken tortilla soup, roasted veggies, hamburgers and fries.


Tuesday I started an indoor exercise program because it is so hot outside (95-100 every day this week and next). When I took my shoes off there were huge blisters on my right arch, so I didn’t put weight on that foot the next three days. Walked carefully yesterday and hope today will be normal.


We attended our first Institute class with 1 recent convert, two investigators, two  members on line, Sr. Huby the teacher, two young sister missionaries and us. It was not as I remember teaching Institute but good to be there. They all went to McD’s for treats but we graciously declined.


Thursday we met at the church for District Council Mtg. Two other senior sisters (Hillary and Mathews) were there from Manosque, two elders (Keep and Muller) going  home to California and Switzerland in three days, Sr. Burnett going home to Michigan, Elder Lamb to Canne and Elder Abad and Sr. Bucy staying here awaiting new companions. We were impressed with their commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ and their discussion of how will I choose to be when I am home. Elder Abad (Spain) shared the experience of his father becoming inactive after leaving the mission. It was a spirit felt meeting of endings and new beginnings.


Friday evening we heard a lot of drumming in the neighborhood and followed the sound to see this group: 

They were part of the weekend festival in Rochfort, which includes riders herding bulls through the streets, which we missed.


And we also hiked up the hill to this 11th C Romanesque chapel whose bells we hear each hour and half hour:


Seen from our terrace at night

We listened to Elder Bednar’s talk redefining enduring to the end and Elder Stevenson emphasizing the worth of the individual illustrated by an airport in Japan which has never lost a suitcase. We checked two missionary apartments in Avignon for needs and cleanliness and purchased sunblock curtains for the sisters. We connected our portable speaker so the quality of our music has improved and hung our three pictures from our other apartment. We enjoyed the meatballs from IKEA (thank you Wendy Johnson) and put away all our suitcases.

Picture by the entryway staircase

One of my favorite quotes from Pres. Hinckley: ‘The best antidote I know for worry is work. The best medicine for despair is service.The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired.’


No comments:

Post a Comment

August 2, 2026

This week we learned how to use the stove and oven. The oven is electric but has numbers 1-10 instead of temperatures so it will be guesswor...